Saturday, December 23, 2006

Dot's Ginger Cookies by Miriam

Now for a super secret recipe that I mistakenly published in a 1972 edition of the neighborhood newspaper my sister and I created, "The Dowsett News." Let's just say that Mrs. Frizelle down the street stopped talking to Mrs. Church across the street (who gave me the recipe) for several years after the incident. (yes, we discovered Mrs. Frizelle's nickname too).

Cream together:
3/4 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar

Beat in:
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg

Add:
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon cloves (I tend to go lighter on the cloves)

Roll the cookie dough into balls, then roll in granulated sugar and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees F until the edges are just starting to brown and the tops are cracked. Don't bake these too long! These cookies are best on the soft and chewy side.

No comments: