Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Vegetable halva by bookseller

Last night I was trying to figure out what to do with a zucchini and a couple of large carrots. I figured I would just cut them into sticks and eat them as veggie snacks, though that did seem extremely boring. And then I remembered a recipe I had recently seen for "halvah" (though of the Indian, rather than Middle Eastern, variety) made from vegetables. I'd never made anything like this before. The grated vegetables went into a wide skillet, along with about a teaspoon of the little black seeds from inside a cardamom pod, and two cups of milk. Oh, and half an ounce of raisins, which is about a tablespoon. Really low heat, and occasional stirring until the milk gradually, gradually reduced and was almost entirely absorbed -- probably took about two hours. Six tablespoons of sugar (sub), two tablespoons of butter, an ounce of sliced and toasted almonds, and half a teaspoon of rosewater. Mixed it all in, let it cool overnight, and I have to say, this is delicious. Really weird, but delicious.

No comments: