Monday, May 12, 2008

Slow Roast Pork with Fennel by c-beth

I rubbed the hunk of meat with lots of sea salt and pepper, and put it under the broiler for several minutes to give it some roasty color. Then I plopped it into the slow cooker, and poured about a half carton of veggie broth over it, about a 1/2 cup of whole milk, and several glugs of white wine. Then I threw in a half dozen whole garlic cloves, some whole shallots and 2 sliced up fennel bulbs. I cooked it for a couple hours on the highest setting, then gradually lowered the heat as the afternoon went on. It was probably 8 hours from start to finish.

The sauce was a drunken afterthought, really. I used a slotted spoon to remove the veggies from the cooking liquid and smashed them together with a wooden spoon. The result was sort of gravy-like, and sooooo tasty. I didn't tell folks that it was probably 75% pork fat.

No comments: