Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Various Cabbage Recipes by bookseller

Very lightly creamed cabbage (sauteed with a lot of onion, small amount of cream hard-boiled down) with good balsamic vinegar stirred in at the end off-heat is one of my favorite things ever. Even better, of course, with bacon, but then, so many things are.

Slivered raw cabbage tossed with curried mayo (cook curry powder in a small amount of fat to release oils, add to mayo), peanuts, and peas is a great thing. I stole the recipe from Formaggio Kitchen in Boston about 20 years ago, and sometimes I throw some carrot in there as well.

Lazy-person's stuffed cabbge (just layer the cabbage leaves with the filling, as if you were making lasagne) is just as delicious as stuffed cabbage rolls, and a lot less work.

Finally, colcannon -- chop cabbage, steam till tender, mix with mashed potatoes -- is one of my favorite cold-weather dinners. And there is a classic Italian recipe for buckwheat pasta with cabbage and cheese that is lighter than it sounds (it's not baked) and is absolutely wonderful.

ETA you might also think about making a basterdized version of lion's head casserole. Traditionally, this is a Chinese dish of large pork meatballs served with a "mane" of greens (cabbage or bok choy). I've made it very successfully with chicken rather than pork, I like the meatballs smaller (bite-size), and I use a ton of cabbage. I would just look for a recipe for lion's head, sub chicken for the pork if you want to, and double or triple the amount of greens.

No comments: