Thursday, April 19, 2007

Li's Good Reads

Just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Absolutely heartbreaking. It's one of those books that really lingers in your mind--I even dreamed about it last night. What impressed me is that it's written in the first person and the narrator is a very limited person both in what she objectively knows about her situation and also in her emotional self-awareness, yet Ishiguro manages to let the reader know what's really going on. I will definitely give this a second read.

I also recently read Life of Pi, and while I enjoyed most of it, I hated the ending. It bugs me when writers set up a terrible tragedy and then wimp out at the last minute, not going through with the logical ending because they become too protective of their characters. (not a problem in Never Let Me Go).

Another one I finished recently was The Mysterious Case of the Dog in the Night-time. I enjoyed it when I read it but once I put it down I never thought of it again. Not sure why it didn't stay with me. I think the author reached for more than he could deliver.

No comments: